Is the application of hot stone to the body for the purpose of changing the physiological responses that are going on in the body to promote healing.
Circulation is rapidly changed with the use of hot stones. When circulation is increased then so is nutrition and the way that every cell in the body functions.
Thermotherapy widens blood vessels and increase blood flow to the skin, relaxing superficial muscles and decreasing muscle spasm. It can also reduce stiffness in joints and has the ability to block pain receptors.
Benefits of Hot Stone Massage
• Nerve system is activated
• Metabolic rate increases bringing nutrients to the cells
• Improves breathing by calming it down
• A feeling of comfort and relaxation takes over
• Superficial muscles relax allowing for deeper massage work
• Lymphatic system is stimulated due to ultrafiltration into tissue
• Block pain receptors